As cold waters to a thirsty soul,
So is good news from a distant land.
Proverbs 25:25

How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, . . . "Your God reigns!"
Isaiah 52:7
good news from a distant land (all posts)
quarterly

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Bible and the Book of Mormon

When an LDS missionary comes to the door, Christians need to know this about them:

“Like most members of my faith I don’t take every word of the Bible literally, Old Testament or New. My embracing of the Bible allows room for human errors of translation or omission, or indeed of interpretation. In that, I’m typical of most Latter-day Saints” (Michael Otterson).

This makes me realize that I have to understand the Bible’s teaching about its own preservation. (In my view this providential preservation has taken place within the totality of the immense number of manuscripts available to us.)

But perhaps more significant than Otterson’s statement itself is that he says nothing comparable about the Book of Mormon, thereby leaving it in a position of superiority to your copy of the Bible.

His entire post is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment